Tuesday, March 30, 2010

2010 Downtown Columbia Triathlon Recap

I might have found new favorite race. I thought the course sounded sort of cool when I signed up, but I honestly didn’t expect to enjoy it as much as I did.

The race is set, obviously, in downtown Columbia, an area typically not equated with beauty. I often hear Columbia described this way: railroads, trains, brown fields, asphalt, and stifling heat with no wind. But that’s not really a fair assessment. While some of that might be true in areas of Columbia, it certainly isn’t the case in the heart of the city on the USC campus.

I think to really appreciate the campus and downtown area, you have experience it on foot. My wife went to USC, but it’s been years since we’ve spent any time in Columbia. I’d actually forgotten how nice it is to walk around down there. Super clean, lots of green spaces and shaded parks scattered between academic buildings and dorms, beautiful facilities, and a good college vibe. And that college/urban setting offers a unique backdrop for a triathlon.


The course

The 500 meter swim is in the Platt Center – the USC swim/dive team pool. It’s a beautiful 50 meter pool with a large deck, bleachers for spectators on the second floor, a diving well, SEC banners on the walls, and giant open-air windows around the entire pool. Just a cool place to swim. Plus, because it’s a 50 meter pool, swimmers do not come down and back in the same lane like the 25 meter pool swims. You go off two at a time every 10 seconds and switch lanes after each length. That’s much easier for passing.


The 10-mile bike leg is the shortest I’ve ever done in a sprint. It’s a 3.3 mile loop through downtown which you do three times. I don’t remember all the streets, but you do blast through 5 Points on the third mile. The first 1.5 miles is all up hill, so be prepared. I like the 3-loop style racing. It feels more like a crit than a TT. The road conditions weren’t too bad. There are, however, lots of intersections, and even though there were police officers directing traffic at each one, I would recommend you be extra alert. There was a lot of traffic during the race, and with police letting vehicles through when there were openings between bikers, you just have to be paying attention. After all, you are on downtown streets at 9:30 in the morning – not out on some country road.


The 5k run is through the campus down sidewalks, breezeways, and overpasses. Really different, but really cool I thought. You finish on the intramural field next to the Platt Center.


This is a Setup Events production and part of the South Carolina Triathlon Series. There were 400 participants this year and early registration will cost you $55, late registration $65. Decent long-sleeve t-shirt, but not wicking material. The post race spread was pretty good – grits, scrambled eggs and sausage. My kind of meal for sure.


I’m going to give this event two thumbs up and definitely add it to my race calendar each season.

No comments: