Wednesday, March 17, 2010

2010 Parris Island Triathlon


The South Carolina Triathlon Series (SCTS) begins each year around mid March with the Parris Island triathlon. I've already written a profile about the Parris Island triathlon, so check it out if you're looking for information about this race.

Parris Island is a great way to start the season. I love driving around the island, checking out the scenery and watching marine recruits PT, drill, and march around in platoon formations - usually with someone screaming in their faces. I also love that we get to use the marine combat training pool for the swim. It's just a really cool backdrop for a triathlon - certainly beats the field/nasty pond/country back road vibe at a lot of races.

I'm also super excited this year because the SCTS has added a few new races, including one in Charleston, just a few miles from my house. I'll be racing Parris next weekend, then the Downtown Columbia tri the following weekend. I'm ready to finally take my bike off the trainer in my garage and hit the road. Tri season is here.

I did noticed today that there were approximately 100 race slots still available when registration closed. This race always reaches maximum capacity, so I guess it's just a side effect of a bad economy. Hey, maybe to accommodate the struggling economy they will lower the registration fees next year...but I won't hold my breath.

No comments: