Friday, April 4, 2008

The Lost Races (RIP)

It’s always a disappointment when you are filling in your race schedule for the year and you realize that a race you really enjoy has been cancelled. I call these the “Lost” races. Usually, another event will pop up in its place, but you still feel bummed out. You grow attached to these races. You expect these races to be there, even when you can’t, like when you have to go out of town to a wedding or family reunion. Over the years I’ve seen some good races come and go, and I want to pay my respects to some of my favorites.

ACE Basin Triathlon
My brother and I did this race as a relay team in 2000. The format was a 6 mile paddle, 14 mile road bike, 4 mile trail run. There was a festival-like atmosphere with music and food, and lots of fun things for the kids. After the race, most people pulled out their lawn chairs and coolers and enjoyed the afternoon. It didn’t feel super competitive like most triathlons. The vibe was much more casual and low key. Still, there were lots of participants and volunteers. Kayaks were provided. The awards were cool. It was just a well coordinated event in a unique setting.

Altahama Wilderness Adventure Race
I did this race in 2004 with some buddies. We packed up the mountain bikes and headed to Hazlehurst, Georgia for this 8-hour adventure race. A lot of the participants camped out at the race site, creating a good community vibe. The course was awesome and challenging. Post-race food and awards were great. Entry fees were reasonable. Plus, my team won the overall male division, but we weren’t able to defend our title the following year! Alas, all good things must come to an end.

Charleston Collegiate 5K
Charleston Collegiate is a prep school on John’s Island. The inaugural year for this event was 2003. I don't do many 5ks, but I was coming off a marathon training program and wanted to see how my 5k time had improved. I picked this race because of the course. After 1.5 miles on pavement, the course turned down a dirt road and back toward the school, looping around the ball fields and outer edges of the campus and ending in the school parking lot. Have I mentioned I love XC running? Plaques were awarded 3 deep in every age group. Live Oak café (I think it was them) provided a full breakfast, and there was a coffee station! Have I mentioned I love coffee? Anyway, I got the flu the following year and had to miss it. Then a water main ruptured on the campus and they cancelled the event in 2005. In 2006, they replaced the race altogether with a soap box derby race or something. Bummer.

N. Myrtle Beach Triathlon
I did the N. Myrtle Beach Tri in 2007, which I think was its second year in existence. The course was a 700 yard ocean swim, 15 mile bike, 5k. The race director was Mark Horton of the The North Myrtle Beach Aquatic and Fitness Center, and he did a phenomenal job. He had live music and food at registration, a good host hotel with reasonable rates, great awards, lots of volunteers, and the best part, a drawing for a complete tri bike. You should know that there were only 100 or so participants, so the odds were pretty good. This was very nice perk. I was hoping this event would grow because all the pieces are there, but I don’t see it on the calendar this year. I suspect the new TriAmerica National Triathlon Series, which includes a stop in Myrtle Beach on Oct 11, is taking its place. It’s nice to have an event fill that weekend, but I hope it doesn’t discourage Mark from continuing to produce top quality races. I, for one, appreciate his efforts.

Family Circle Cup Triathlon
This was a great race at the Family Circle Cup Tennis Center on Daniel Island that lasted a couple years. The .4 mile swim was in the Wando river. The 15 mile bike took you out to Clements Ferry road and back, then a 4 mile run through the Daniel Island neighborhoods. Another really cool venue that didn't return. I spoke to race director Paul King who said that the tides in the Wando made selecting a date and time difficult. I'm not complaining, because Paul now directs the East Cooper Triathlon, which basically replaced this event. But it was fun while it lasted.

I’ON Man Biathlon
This biathlon (1500mtr swim, 5k) in I’On neighborhood was held every July 4. In all the years it was around, I was never able to race it due to family vacations. Finally, last year, my calendar was clear, but it was cancelled and replaced with the Trophy Lakes 5k. Very disappointing.

RIP old friends. You are missed. Maybe we will meet again.

No comments: