Monday, April 14, 2008

Las Vegas Hangover

Having just spent four days in Las Vegas, I’m feeling tired, weak, and hung over. I was going to run this morning, but decided against it when the alarm went off – partly because I need to get my body back on east coast time, and partly because I probably would have hurled up white russians after the first mile. It’s a small price to pay considering all the fun I had, and I wouldn’t be complaining if I didn’t have a race this weekend. That’s right. My taper week for the East Cooper Triathlon consisted of sushi, blackjack, irish coffees, poker, Heinekens, white russians, all-you-can-eat buffets, and little sleep. I’m going to try to hydrate and loosen up this week, but I won’t be in top form on Sunday. At some point, my body is going to punish me for the antics I pulled in Vegas, and I have come to grips that it will probably be very early in the race.

While I did manage to swim laps and then run a few miles on the strip my first morning in Vegas, it just wasn't the same. All I could think of was my terrible luck on the craps tables and how I was going to turn it around playing poker and blackjack. I cut my run short and returned to my hotel. I was showered and sitting at a blackjack table with a cocktail within 20 minutes. It was 9:15 a.m. I love Vegas.

Having said that, I still plan on profiling the East Cooper Triathlon for anyone interested in the course and random race information. I’ll probably post my complete profile by Thursday. If you’re a beginner or doing the race for the first time, the profile will help you get a good sense of the course and how things will go down on Sunday. Hopefully, it will help you relax and answer any questions you might have.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who did you go on this great trip with?

Anonymous said...

Hey! How are ya? I love reading about all your races. Vegas is a great town but I think it is no excuse to deviate from your training regimen! What a slacker......just kidding, you probably needed the break.

Autumn

Anonymous said...

I thought you said no pictures of you with your shirt off?

Mrs. Jones said...

Really, Aquarius, where are all of the photos of your wonderful wife? You know, the one who takes care of your lovely children day and night while you train; who cheers on the sidelines and is ultimately your source of inspiration? We are in awe of your accomplishments, but we really just want to learn more about HER! Let's do pizza sometime soon and talk it over!
Also, Jonesie said he could beat you in an arm wrestling contest....are you game?

Alicia Ward said...

You seem really cool and have a cute daughter.