Sunday, April 6, 2008

Cooper River Bridge Run 2008


I haven’t run the bridge run since 1999. Don’t get me wrong, it’s a great event by any set of standards. I mean, Oprah’s run it, so it’s legit, right?

In all seriousness, it is the premiere 10k in the southeast, attracting top caliber runners from all over the world. It also attracts friends and relatives who want to come to Charleston and make a weekend out of the race, and of course, crash at your place. For most, it’s a social race. A good excuse to get in shape with friends, and have a little post-run celebration. I’m all for it.

So why haven’t I run it since 1999? For starters, I hate trying to get back to Mt. Pleasant. I tried running back this year, but when I got to the bridge, the cop told me the bike lane wouldn't be open until 12 or 12:30. What?

Also, it can be frustrating trying to get a personal best, or even run your normal pace for that matter. Just too many people. But that's fine. This race is about all the people who don't normally run, the first-timers, the walkers, family and friends, the city, the party, the event.

Get Over It, Get Under It
I ran the bridge this year because I want to do the Lowcountry Splash (2.4 mile harbor swim), which has a “Get Over It, Get Under It” challenge in which you combine your bridge run time with your swim time. That sounds cool to me, so I signed up. My goal was to break 45 minutes this year, which is a good bridge time for me. I planned on running consecutive 7:10 miles, saving a little extra for that last .2 of the run.

My time was 44:14, so mission accomplished. But I'd forgotten just how difficult those first two miles are when you consider all the runners. I think my first mile was just under 8 minutes, and it was all zig zagging and median hopping. Once I got to the top of the bridge and things opened up some, I was able to find my rhythm and cruise.

I probably won't wait another 9 years to run again. That's a long time. I didn't even know you could keep the timing chips. I'm used to turning those in after a race, or paying a $30 fee. I asked several people where we turn the chips in, and they looked at me like I had asked them for a cigarette. Finally, someone clued me in and said, "You keep it man. It's a souvenir." Awesome, thanks for the tip. I'll keep that in mind next year.

No comments: