Monday, May 26, 2008

Lowcountry Splash

I just signed up for this weekend's Lowcountry Splash, a 2.4 mile swim in the Charleston Harbor. I'm excited. The race has been around for seven years, but this will be my first time participating. This will also be the first time I've ever swum 2.4 miles.

Should I be concerned? I don't think so. Here's how I rationalize this. I am in very good shape and regularly exercise and race for 1.5 hours or more. By that I mean I can keep my HR at or above 160 BPM for that duration. I don't think I'll be in the water for more than 1.5 hours. I regularly swim 1-2 miles in the pool, and since the event course is with the outgoing tide, I think I'll be fine, especially if I take it easy.

Now, having said that, I will certainly be in the bottom 25% because I'm no pool rat (no offense to pool rats). This event is for swimmers and long-course triathletes, and I'm neither. It will be a long morning for me, that's for sure.

But that's fine. I'm not racing it. I'm going to enjoy each and every stroke. My only goal, per say, is to enjoy myself and not be too tired to take the kids to the beach when I'm done. To do this I'm going forgo 'race mode' and just cruise.

Sometimes when you're so focused on racing and splits and transitions, you don't really take in your surrounding and appreciate just what it is you're doing. This event is the perfect for that. How many times will I ever swim under the Cooper River Bridge and next to the Yorktown? I don't know, but I'm doing it this weekend, and I'm going to enjoy it.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin!
You will not finish in over an hour, I'm certain. If you floated, you would maybe finish in over an hour.

You will be well under, since it is with tide(take a look at the finishing times).

It's fun, and make sure you flip over on your back and look up at the bridge! Pretty cool.
This is about the first year I haven't swum it, and I am no pool rat, or swimmer!

J. Finch

Anonymous said...

11th place in the Over and Under is not too shabby...

except for the fact that a 17 year old girl beat you and you barely beat a 13yr old girl, ouch :-)