Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Tri Season Begins

The Parris Island Triathlon went off without a hitch on Saturday. Race director Jeremey Davis reported it was the largest field (500 plus) in the history of the event. So it's official, the 2008 tri season has begun.

I hope everyone had a great race and got their season started with a bang. Conditions could not have been more perfect -- comfortably low temps, cloud cover, and little wind.

Unfortunately, my race didn't unfold quite like I had planned.

My 2007 time was 1.07:23, and I was hoping to break 1.07 this year. My swim split was 20 secs faster than last year's, and my bike split 30 secs faster, so I thought I had it made. But as soon as I headed out on the run, I could tell it wasn't going to happen. I felt a bit nauseous and just couldn't get into any kind of rhythm. My run split was 22:45 -- 2 minutes 20 secs slower than last year. My overall time was 1.09:05.

I was a little bummed at first, but I'm over it now. It happens. I'm just happy the season has started and I'm able to race another year.

Parris Island Profile Update
I want to make a few corrections to my last post in which I profiled this race. For starters, the pool temperture was not the 85 degree bath water of years past. I'd guess it to be around 79 degrees or so. The race T-shirt was short sleeve, not long. And the run water station was not at the 1.5 mile turn around. This year they had it at the 1 mile mark.

Anyway, good luck this year. I hope you stay free of injuries and reach your goals, whatever those may be.

Thanks for reading,
Justin W

No comments: