Sunday, November 18, 2012

Unauthorized Assistance?

I recently read an article that highlighted the USAT’s “Unauthorized Assistance” rule. It’s a common sense rule, but one that I’ve unknowingly broken several times.
Here is the rule:
Article 3.4d. Unauthorized Assistance
No participant shall accept from any person (other than a race official) physical assistance in any form, including food, drink, equipment, support, pacing, a replacement bicycle or bicycle parts, unless an express exception has been granted and approved, in writing, by USA Triathlon. The receipt of information regarding the progress, split times, or location of other competitors on the race course shall not be considered the acceptance of unauthorized assistance. Any violation of this section shall result in a variable time penalty.
So, if I pass someone who is clearly hurting, and maybe needs fuel or water, technically, I shouldn’t give that person some of my water? Even if they aren’t hurting, who cares? Seems like good sportsmanship to me. What about flats? I can’t give someone a spare tube?
And that isn’t even the part of the rule I’ve broken. I suppose, by the letter of the law, I’ve ‘paced’ before. Pacing is defined as making forward progress while being accompanied by someone who is not currently competing in the race.  “Unauthorized” assistance, as opposed to what the race organization provides, is illegal and time penalties are assessed to anyone receiving aid from an outside source.

From time to time, my wife and I will do a race together. She is not competitive and likes to enjoy the race at her own pace. I typically finish before her, then double back to find her on the run course so that we can run together. Technically, this is pacing. Even though we aren’t trying to beat anyone or set a course record. Just a nice cruise to the finish – typically in the bottom portion of her age group. Should she get a time penalty for that?
Likewise, my son will start racing with me next year. He is 12. I want to race with him, especially on his first race and on longer events. I’m not trying to ‘pace’ him, I just want to enjoy the experience together.

I understand that triathlon is an individual sport, and the rules are black and white. But to me, there seems to be a lot of gray with this rule.

No comments: