Thursday, July 21, 2011

Folly Beach Splash N Dash 2011

The 1st Annual Folly Beach Splash N Dash was held last Saturday, July 16, 2011, at the Folly Beach Fishing Pier. This was a biathlon, consisting of a 750 meter ocean swim and a 5k beach run.

I'm happy to report that I came in 1st place overall. I'm not happy to report that there were only 10 participants.

Where was everybody?
I was blown away at the lack of participants. This event was put on by Setup Events, which always does a great job producing races. The race was advertised on the Charleston Triathlon Club's homepage, not to mention the Setup Events website. It's a short, very doable race, even for beginner and novice athletes. Why only 10 participants?

Instead of trying to figure that out, I'm going to focus on getting the word out for next year's event, that is of course, if they do it again. There used to be a Folly Beach Biathlon years ago, but that event was cancelled after participation dropped below 20 racers. I don't want that to happen again. We need variety. I like having a biathlon option here in Charleston. I love it when new races come to the area. I know we have enough local athletes to support this event, so pencil this race in for next year's race calendar.

And on that note, Setup Events is putting on a new sprint triathlon on Daniel Island August 27. The official name is the LOCO Sprint Triathlon 2011. It's a 750 meter swim (Wando river), 14 mile bike, and 5k run. I believe they have a team division. As of today, there were only 15 or so registered. That's crazy. I know it's a first-year event, but if they don't get the numbers, it will be a one-time race. Let's support these new events and at least give them a chance to gain some traction.

You can register for these events on the Setup Events website.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the Folly Beach Splash and Dash 2012 would be fun, particularly as I don't bike well. However, it is the day before one of the Charleston Sprint Series triathlons. Any other weekend I would be in. There are probably many who think that way. Timing of smaller races if very key. I am amazed at the bad distribution of both triathlons and road races in the Charleston area. 2-3 on one weekend and then nothing for weeks.