Monday, February 9, 2009

Looking back on 2008

I raced in 13 events last year. I did the Cooper River Bridge Run (10k) and Lowcountry Splash (2.4 Harbor swim) so I could compete in the “Get Over it, Get Under it” challenge (combined time). I ended up getting second in my age group to John Glover, owner of Charleston Bicycle Company. Congrats John, and please hurry and move up an age group already.

I also did the AB&T Duathlon on John’s Island, placing second overall. Otherwise, it was all triathlon, and mostly sprints. Here are a few things I learned this year:

Race Fueling
When it comes to race nutrition and fueling, the old mantra “less is best” is key. You can get into a lot of trouble if you overdo it. The body starts working too hard trying to process those fuels and things start going in the wrong direction. I over-fueled at the Parris Island triathlon. Without really meaning to, I had always followed the less is best philosophy. For whatever reason, I decided I would go faster if I ate an extra bar; had an extra gel; and upped my mix ratio for fluids. Problem is that this was a sprint, not an ironman. I ran the slowest 5k I’ve ran in over 5 years. I simply didn’t need those fuels. My tank was fine. Lesson learned.

At the Races
The Cooper River Bridge run is a great event, perhaps one of the premiere 10ks in the country, but it’s a pain trying to get back to Mt. Pleasant after the race. I tried running back over the bridge and was stopped by police. Even the walking lane is closed until noon. That’s ridiculous. Waiting in lines for buses is a pain. I was also trying to get a good time to compete in the “Get Over it, Get Under it” challenge, but there are just too many people. This race is more about having a good time with friends than posting PRs. And actually, I learned this lesson years ago, so let’s just say it was again verified in 2008.

I love duathlons. Perhaps more than triathlon. My swim times are fine, so it’s not that hate swimming. I don’t know why, but run bike run really appeals to me. I think if I could do one race, it would be a 5 mile road race, 25 mile road bike, 5 mile trail run. Alas, I will settle for one or two duathlons I can find each year, regardless of distance.

Getting up at 3:30 to travel to a race affects your performance. You always have to wake up early for races, but anything before 4:30 and you will notice a performance drop. I traveled to several of the SCTS events (Florence, Columbia 2x, and Parris Island). Waking up that early just cuts into those extra hours of sleep. I had decent races, but my body wasn’t as rested as it should be.

The Harbor swim is easy. It’s a 2.4 mile swim (ironman distance) with the current. That means you go an extra mile per hour, or more, faster than you would in a pool. I finished in around 50 minutes. If you can swim a mile and a half, you can do this event. Not really challenging. But it is a fun event, for a great cause, and I do recommend it.

The sprint series at James Island is fun, competitive and humbling. Even though I ended up with a second and third place finish in my age group, I placed 5th in the final race. And that’s with a top 30 time of 1.05. Everybody peaked and came ready to race that final event. After the race, some friends from my age group (who placed 1-4, we all know each other now) ran a cool down mile and talked about how the race unfolded. We’ve all been racing this event 10 or more years and we each got a course PR in that race, so it was fun breaking down tactics. I don’t know why that memory sticks in my head, but it’s definitely one of the things I enjoy about racing. And I like that one of my favorite memories of the season isn’t based on a time or what place I got.

The Kiawah triathlon is still the best end of season race out there. An Olympic distance with everyone in great form. Always competitive and always fun.

I think mostly I learned that I need a little change of scenery. The sprint scene isn’t exciting me as much these days, and race expenses are creeping upwards. This year I picked only a couple long distance races and skipped planning the normal 15-race season. I’m doing a half ironman in May, then a full in November. My focus will be on long distance training, with little cost, and no stress. I picked up a road bike last fall and I’m looking forward to long rides without worrying about MPH and intensity levels.

Even though I'm sure to log more hours training this year, I feel like I’m taking a year off, so to speak. The race fast mentality is gone, and I hope it clears my head.

3 comments:

Tommy said...

Hey Jason,

Which HIM are you doing in May? Orlando? Which IM did you decide to do? Nice blog by the way.

I'm doing the Rhode Island HIM in August and Augusta in September - I'll do Clearwater if I qualify, but it's really tough. I'll have to be well under 4:30 in Rhode Island.

Tommy

Justin Ward said...

Tommy, I'm doing the Whitelake, NC half in May, then Wilmington, NC for the full on Nov 7. Both are Setup Events productions. The full is a second year event.

Under 4:30 to qualify? That's fast bro. Best of luck. I wish you the best.

Tommy said...

I'm thining Augusta will be less competitive :)

I did the Wilm HIM last year. The swim and bike are fast, but the run was tough for me. There are at least 2 bridges you go over and there are still moderate hills after that. I use moderate as compared to Charleston - every incline feels like a hill to me. You will have to do the run twice for the IM! An IM is tough as it is. The weather should be good though. It's a really good race overall. Good luck in the HIM coming up - I haven't heard anything about White Lake.