Friday, August 29, 2008

Triathlon Etiquette


How someone trains and races says something about them. When I see someone meticulously laying out his gear in the transition area, taking great pains to place every item just so, I know there’s a good chance his attention to detail and organization skills carry over into his personal life. For example, I would bet his garage is clean and organized, just like his office, the glovebox of his car, and top dresser drawer. Likewise, when I see someone knowingly drafting, I know there’s a good chance that person cheats on his taxes and wife. When I see someone in the race giving words of encouragement to everyone who passes, I know there’s a good chance that person has a lot of friends.

Your character comes out on race day, whether you like it or not.

I see a lot of driven and motivated people in the triathlon community. I see people who want to challenge themselves. I see people setting and achieving goals. I see hard work and commitment. I see detail-oriented, competitive, successful people. I see health conscious, active people wanting to try new things. And I see people who inspire me.

Unfortunately, I’ve also seen a lot of jerks. I guess it comes with the territory. It is a race afterall. And when you get a group of people with all the attributes I mentioned above competing against one another, tempers can flare. I’ve seen a near fist fight over bumping/passing in the chute of a sprint finish. I’ve seen yelling in the transition area over rack spots. I’ve seen volunteers get berated. I’ve seen unsportsmanlike conduct in crowded swims (as in, that kick was NOT accidental). I’ve seen people cut turns and corners perhaps a little too much. I’ve seen more bad attitudes and complaining than I care to talk about. And the drafters, don’t even get me started on the drafters.

Below are a few suggestions and tips regarding good etiquette and sportsmanship you should use on race day.

Transition Area:
Your space in the transition area is tight. Just because you bring more gear doesn't mean you get more space. Use common sense and courtesy. Don't lay your crap all over the place and leave items in the way of others. In fact, there are USAT rules about this.

Work with the people on your rack to make sure everyone has enough space.

Don't ever take someone's spot. If there is a wetsuit or anything hanging over a rack spot, consider it a place holder and move on. If you aren't sure, ask. Note: If you get to the race site late, don't expect to get a great rack spot. And please don't try to squeeze into an already crowded rack.

Help others if they are having trouble or look clueless.

When you're done with your race and you're in the transition area, be considerate of those who have not finished yet and stay out of the way.

Swim:
Slower swimmers should start farther back. Don't start front and center unless you plan on leading the wave.

When there's contact, make your adjustment and keep going. It happens. Also, don't assume it's some jerk swimming into you. It could be you who is veering.

Bike:
No spitting or blowing your nose farmer-style. The people behind you will not be happy.

Always ride in a straight line, and if you are a slower rider stay on the right side except when passing.

Always let the rider ahead know you are passing on the left.

Only discard your water bottles and trash at aid stations. No littering ever -- even the tops of gel packs are litter. Just put it back in your pocket, or tuck under your shorts -- anywhere but on the ground.

No drafting. That's cheating. You should take the time to familiarize yourself with USAT rules.

Run:
Again, no littering on the race course.

Stay on the right except to pass.

At aid stations, try to discard your cups within a reasonable distance. Volunteers have to pick up each cup, so don't make them walk 400 yards.

In a sprint to the finish, use good judgement. If you're sprinting toward a chute, and you haven't passed the guy when you get there, he has the right of way.

After the race:
Treat the finish line volunteers with respect. Even though you're done, they still have to gather each racer's timing chip.

If you hang around for the awards don't bolt as soon as you get yours. It's good form to applaud everyone.

Thank volunteers and the race director when possible. They make it all possible.

I could go on and on with this list, but it's really common sense. Know the rules. Be considerate of others and contribute to the positive vibes. People are completing their first tris, PRs are being set, goals are being met, etc. Talk to people after the race and listen to how their race unfolded. Don't kill the buzz with negative energy and complaining. It's fun to be a part of the post race buzz and community. And it will make your race day experience all the better.

No comments: