Friday, July 11, 2008

CSTS#2 Race update

The second race in the CSTS was last Sunday at James Island County Park. I shaved about 20 seconds off my time from the first race, and managed to grab 29th place overall and 2nd in my age group. I’m happy with that, but my goal is to crack 1 hr 5min. I still need to cut about 1:30 off my current time, and I'm not sure if I can get there in one month.

It seems there was some drama after the first race in the women’s elite division regarding drafting. A complaint was made, but there really wasn’t anything the race director could do other than ask the riders if they had indeed drafted. They said no, and that was that. Since there are no draft marshals on the course, you are on the honor system. Paul King decided to have draft marshals on the course for this race, and by all accounts, it was a clean race. No infractions occurred.

The bigger issue is blocking, another USAT rule, but I won't get into that again. Anyway, David Quick wrote an article for the P&C regarding the drafting allegations at the first race. All Setup Event races have marshals on the course by the way, and they always give penalties. It’s not that people are trying to cheat, it’s just that don’t know the rules. Some rules you just have to learn the hard way.

Pee Dee Triathlon Tomorrow
I’m heading up to Florence tomorrow morning for the race #8 in the SC Series. It’s a 700 mtr swim, 15 mile bike, 5k. I’ll post a course profile next Monday. The first mile of the bike is on a dirt road with lots of sand. Last year people were falling left and right trying to get through the rough parts. It’s not a hard fall, but obviously, it’s preferable to stay upright on the bike. This year they’ve put something over these rough patches, but are still saying not to race this section of the course. Easier said than done. It’s a race after all. I’m just hoping I don’t get lost trying to find the race site like I did last year. I literally had 15 minutes to check in and get my bike racked before my wave went off.

Tour de France
I can’t get enough of the Tour this year. Both US-based teams are killing it – Green jersey, White jersey, stage wins, race leader, top 10 GC guys. It’s incredible. This is the first time we’ve had two American teams in the Tour and we are represented well. I have wagers with two friends of mine on who will win. We’ve each selected 5 riders and will take the 3 lowest times combined to determine the winner. Plus I joined two Tour de France Fantasy Leagues, so I’m completely enthralled with all things Tour, or as one buddy likes to put it, “You’re a dork.” Whatever, Viva la US!!!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice Top 30 finish at Pee Dee.

Go Team Garmin!!!